5 Facts You Didn’t Know About Essential Oils
Many cultures have used essential oils for their unique fragrance, medicinal & therapeutic properties for centuries. Nowadays, you might have noticed the increased use of essential oils in aromatherapy, massage therapy & holistic treatments. But, do you know some amazing unknown facts about essential oils?
1. Essential Oils Are Actually Not Oils.
Essential oils are the highly concentrated version of plant extracts. To obtain the oil, different plant parts like roots, stems, barks, or leaves undergo distillation. Essential oils do not contain fatty acids like regular oils. Therefore, they aren’t considered oils.
2. Essential Oils Have The Power To Remove Toxins From The Air.
Essential oil helps in promoting healthy respiratory functions & promotes clear breathing. Below mentioned are some of the best essential oils suggestions for removing toxins from the air.
- Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial & anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, it is the perfect choice for purifying the air & strengthening your immune system.
- Eucalyptus oil helps in keeping the air clean, odour-free & sterile. In addition, the remarkable fresh scent of eucalyptus helps in treating infections & joint pains.
- Jasmine oil is best diffused into the foyer & living room for a relaxing ambience.
3. A Few Drops Of Essential Oils Is Like Carrying A Garden In A Bottle.
Little do people know that a tremendous amount of plant material is used to make essential oil. The quantity used is often hard to procure, making these oils costly. Do you know how much material is needed to form a few drops of essential oils?
- The destressing vibe of lavender has been loved for ages. It takes about 150 pounds of lavender flowers to form a single pound of lavender essential oil. Dab a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow for peaceful night sleep.
- Similarly, it takes more than 250 pounds of peppermint leaves to make one pound of peppermint essential oil. So if you wish to shake off any slumber, inhale a few drops of peppermint oil to awaken your senses in no time.
- About 5000 pounds of rose petals makes 1 pound of rose essential oil.
4. The Pleasant Scents Of Essential Oils Can Improve The Mood By 40%.
As per research, smelling a pleasant fragrance is the quickest way to improve mood. Our sense of smell is 10,000 times more sensitive than other senses. Therefore, when you smell a fragrance, a rush of feelings & emotions are released from the brain and sent out into your body. Essential oils are such miracle workers with unique fragrances to enhance, uplift & change your mood. Here I have mentioned a quick blend for uplifting mind & body.
- To relax your stress muscles, you can blend several drops of ylang-ylang oil with carrier oil & massage it on your back & shoulder.
- For brain-boosting power, you can diffuse rosemary essential oil with frankincense & peppermint essential oil.
- You can diffuse a blend of eucalyptus & lemon oil for recharging yourself.
5. Impossible to get a patent for Essential Oils.
Yes, you read it right. Since we all know nature is the ultimate giver. The statement is true for essential oils as well. Hence, they cannot be patented. Essential oils have been passed down through generations. People have experimented and used it for more than thousands of years. They have been beneficial in resolving health issues, but they are officially no alternative to drugs. Hence, pharmaceutical companies won’t put in any effort into studying them. Therefore, essential oils can’t be patented.
Lastly, it is advisable to store different essential oils for a personalised aromatherapy session & boost your mood. A quick sniff of essential oils can start acting in a few seconds. When applied to the skin, it roughly takes 2 to 3 minutes to react and about 20 minutes to reach your bloodstream. All said, storing an essential oil is always an incredible choice.
Using essential oils requires precision; hence, always remember the following points.
- Never apply essential oil directly to the skin. Instead, dilute the oil in water or carrier oil before applying it.
- You can inhale the essential oil from a bottle and use it in a diffuser or humidifier. But you should not consume it.
You can check out Clovia Botaniqa’s range of essential oils for natural & chemical free oils. All Clovia Botaniqa products are free from paraben, sulphate, silicone & toxins.
Independent and Versatile, Sameeksha is passionate about everything that strikes her with the right intensity. She is a published writer obsessed with lifestyle, fashion and books. She has a collection of novels that are dear to her, just like her family. She conveys challenging emotions through her simplistic words.
Latest posts by Sameeksha Jain (see all)