How To Deal With Postpartum Skin & Hair Issues?
Being a mom is not an easy task, the postpartum journey is the most overwhelming and sometimes it could be really concerning for many women. Because of many changes in the body, new moms have to bear with many things, stretch marks are just a part of this entire process.
Apart from stretch marks, many women experience acne, pigmentation, puff eyes, dark circles and hair loss. While others have the pregnancy glow on forever. With time all these postpartum skin and hair issues get resolved, but going through this time can be tough.
Today, I will talk about skin, hair and mood issues that a new mom experiences and will try to provide some viable solutions.
Postpartum Skin Issues
During pregnancy, your body goes through many hormonal changes, and postpartum skin changes are the continuation of pregnancy-related issues. These changes wear off with time and your skin needs time to return to normal. But some changes persist such as
- Stretch marks
- Sore & cracked nipples
- Uneven skin texture, etc.
And all these issues are pretty normal and part of this amazing journey.
Postpartum Hair Issues
Many women experience hair fall post-pregnancy due to hormonal fluctuations. During pregnancy elevated levels of progesterone and reduced levels of estrogen, and the falling stage is slowed down. This combination makes hair fall in its resting period in post pregnancy. Hence post-pregnancy the hair which is in its resting period begins to fall and new hair begins to replace the old ones.
Approximately after 6 to 7 months, the hair growth pattern returns to normal.
But this time is indeed tough for new moms whose time flies past taking care of a new member, and barely any time left for them.
Due to lack of self-care, these hair and skin issues may persist for longer periods of time. In this blog, I will provide you with some easy day to day solutions that you can incorporate into your life effortlessly.
Post Pregnancy Skin Care Guide
Your postpartum skincare routine mimics what you need to be doing for healthy skin. Your daily skincare routine should include
- Stay out of the sun, and use sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater daily, even if it’s cloudy out there.
- Make sure you cleanse your face twice a day. It improves exfoliation hence lesser blemishes & acne.
- Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water.
- Though it’s tough, complete your sleep cycle.
- Eat nutrient rich food, including seasonal fruits & veggies, nuts, whole grains, dairy products, etc.
- Keep yourself relaxed and calm as much as possible. Most importantly enjoy this new phase of your life.
Apart from these routine changes, you can incorporate some products as per problems such as
- For acne you can use anti-acne products.
- To reduce hyperpigmentation you can use spot corrector creams, and to replenish antioxidants you can use vitamin C serum.
- Retinol serum also helps reduce hyperpigmentation and enhances glow.
- For stretch marks you can use no stretch marks oils.
- For sore nipples there are products in the market that help you and make this area soft, moist and soothe them.
- To deal with saggy breasts you have breast firming oil, that tones breast tissues.
Postpartum Hair Care Tips
Apart from eating healthy and being happy, you need to change your daily routine a bit by incorporating some good habits and replacing some products such as
- Don’t use a blow dryer, it affects your scalp.
- Massage your scalp with cold pressed oils and mix it with some essential oils. This has two greater benefits:
- Essential oils improve overall growth of hair.
- Essential oils help you to stay calm & relax your mind.
- Wash your scalp with a gentle anti-hair fall shampoo and use the same conditioner to prevent hair fall caused by breakage.
- Say no to hair dying, stay away from chemicals as much as possible for a few months.
- Take some vitamins & supplements after consulting your doctor if the hair fall pattern is severe.
- Use natural products as much as possible.
- Ensure to take a protein rich diet.
Apart from hair & skin issues, many new moms have to go through mood swings and sometimes depression. They can try aromatherapy.
How Does Aromatherapy Make Postpartum Journey Easier?
Aromatherapy is a holistic experience that relaxes your mind and helps you stay calm. Natural plant extracts are used to promote health and well-being. Essential oils contain these plant extracts and are used in the process.
- Many essential oils help you stay calm.
- Lemon essential oil makes its surroundings refreshed and makes you feel energized.
- Lavender essential oil promotes faster sleep.
- Peppermint essential oil helps in headaches.
- Orange essential oil is a great mood lifter.
The overall experience of aromatherapy is so relaxing and makes you feel rejuvenated and that’s what all new moms want.
So this is all about postpartum essentials from hair care to personal well being. While taking care of your little one, make sure you take some time out for yourself. Spend time with your family and enjoy this amazing part of your life. Enjoy motherhood to the fullest!
A curious girl filled with emotions & passion, Aparna holds a master’s degree in computer application, but words & stories fascinate her more than codes. She is a keen learner & a great admirer of art & culture. Sketching is her get away from daily hustle & bustle.
Latest posts by Aparna Pal (see all)