A strapless bra looks amazing and makes you feel top of the world when paired with the right outfit. Many women often ask if wearing a strapless bra is healthy for them. Other similar queries that sometimes left us jumbled are “how often one should wear a strapless bra to keep breast health in check?”, “Are strapless bras more healthy than a regular one?”, etc.
Well, it’s a topic of debate whether a strapless bra affects your breast health or not. The answer varies, it might affect your bust health positively or negatively. Before I jump on the how part let’s understand the construction of a strapless bra, and how it works.
What Is A Strapless Bra & How Does It Work?
Going with the definition a strapless bra doesn’t have shoulder straps. But it’s not it. A strapless bra is crafted so smartly that it stays in place all day long. Do you know what is the most important part of a bra? Band, it is.
Have you ever worn a regular bra without straps? It too holds your boobs in place but not proficiently. Do you feel comfortable or confident? Right. All I wanted to make you understand is that the band is good enough to hold the bust in place. That’s why lingerie designers focused on making the band sturdier, reliable and comfortable in a strapless bra.
- The band is a lot broader in a strapless bra than in a regular one.
- To keep it from rolling downwards, designers encased plastic sticks in fabric on both sides and this feature is called boning.
- To prevent a strapless bra from slipping downwards they used silicone lining on the edges of the cups and back, which improves the grip.
- Most strapless bras come with more hooks & eyes than a regular bra.
- Irrespective of tube/bandeau bras, strapless bras are padded, sturdy padding improves the hold and makes the silhouette better at the same time.
- Strapless bras do come with wired and non-wired options. Unwired cups enhance the support and lift the bust firmly to improve the overall look.
Now that you know how a strapless bra works let’s move on to the matter of concern.
Does A Strapless Bra Affect Your Breast Health?
It depends on how you feel after wearing a strapless bra. If you feel comfortable and your bra doesn’t make your veins choke, it won’t affect your breast health at all.
Who is it ideal for?
A strapless bra is ideal for small-busted women. Hence, they may feel more comfortable in it than in a regular bra because of the absence of digging shoulder straps. If you want to wear a strapless bra to reduce the pain then opt for a non-wired strapless bra.
Irrespective of breast size, any woman can wear a strapless bra. But heavy-busted women might need the support of wires to prevent saggy breasts. Yes, wearing a strapless bra for a longer time might change the shape of breasts and make them saggy too.
Even small-busted women shouldn’t wear a strapless bra that has wired cups for a longer time. Because they don’t need wired cups, sturdy padding will do the job.
How is it helpful for heavy-busted women & women with sensitive skin?
Many women with sensitive skin or heavy breast size face itchiness, uneasiness and neck pain due to the shoulder straps of a regular bra. Wearing such bras for long periods leads to strain marks. A comfy strapless bra can be a saviour for these women and help relieve pain associated with shoulder straps.
Point To Remember: But it is also true that wearing a strapless bra for a long time may alter the breast shape because of the lack of adequate support which comes from straps. But if you limit the frequency you might not have to deal with such issues.
How Often Should You Wear A Strapless Bra?
There is no hard and fast rule on how often you should wear a strapless bra. If your outfit demands it you should wear it. You should limit the use if your strapless bra is underwired as it might cause discomfort if worn for longer hours. Maybe a gap of one day or two days helps your skin get some relief. All these things can be avoided if you pick a strapless bra smartly.
Tips To Choose A Perfect Strapless Bra To Avoid Any Suffering
- Remember the thumb rule of getting measured every time you buy a new bra.
- The golden rule of buying a strapless bra is to go one size down in a band and one size up in cups. The band is everything in a strapless bra so to add the extra support you have to get it a bit tight. The logic behind a bigger cup size is to stop the spilling of boobs from the top, also known as the Quadraboob situation.
- If your outfit allows, opt for a longline strapless bra to enhance the grip.
- To stop it from heading south, select a bra with silicone lining or beads along the edges.
- Don’t forget the side boning it acts as a pillar and stops a strapless bra from rolling downwards.
- Always purchase a high-quality strapless bra. Messing with the quality might make influence your experience.
- Experts say, since both breasts aren’t the same size, fit your bra to the larger breast and fill the cup with a pad to make them look symmetrical.
All these tips help you select the perfect strapless bra which won’t cause any discomfort.
As long as you are not in any discomfort, a strapless bra won’t negatively affect your breast. So, you can pair it up with all your strapless dresses or halterneck tops to relieve your shoulder and neck.
A curious girl filled with emotions & passion, Aparna holds a master’s degree in computer application, but words & stories fascinate her more than codes. She is a keen learner & a great admirer of art & culture. Sketching is her get away from daily hustle & bustle.
Latest posts by Aparna Pal (see all)